In case you missed them, here is a round-up of some of the latest content that practitioners are talking about in sport medicine. Do let us know your feedback, and any suggestions you have for websites, apps or networks for inclusion in future bulletins.
Medico Legal – Described as “One of the most sensitive examples of balancing the needs and rights of an individual versus the group their health may affect”, our article looks at Transmittable diseases – disclosure v confidentiality
- How soon can an athlete return to sport? This article looks at best-practice research and suggests three guidelines for clinicians. 3 considerations for return-to-sport decision making
- Injury characteristics differed substantially between disciplines during international athletics championships. So what are the medical service planning implications? Research findings
- Progressing rehabilitation after injury: consider the ‘control-chaos continuum’. This framework seeks to provide the practitioner with an individualised approach to RTS that integrates quantitative and qualitative progression criteria.
Invisible women – In many instances there are no scientific or medical statistics on women, so how can we treat women as individuals? This blog highlights the issues. Of Mice and (Wo)Men
Performance Ex elite rugby players Graeme Thomas, Louise Ward and Cory Wilkinson describe their transition from pitch to water in this article. From rugby to rowing
International Day of Radiology
- In celebration of International Day of Radiology, Elsevier have curated a selection of sports imaging articles that are free to read until the end of the year. Sports imaging articles
- A radiology review of a Morel-Lavalée Lesion FIFA Medical Platform
- Does seeing an image of cartilage damage and hearing the descriptor ‘bone on bone’ make a knee more symptomatic? This article asks Does the evidence match the symptoms?
Suicide risk – New research suggests high school students with a history of sports-related concussions might be at an increased risk for suicide completion Concussion link to suicide risk
Diabetes – What resources do patients managing Type 1 Diabetes during high-performance exercise want? Patient Perspectives
Ryan Giggs defends Wales medical department after concussion protocols are questioned. Ryan Giggs and Headway
Some websites, podcasts and apps you might find useful:
FastFacts – Compiled by the FIFA Diploma in Football Medicine Editor in Chief, these educational notes highlight current evidence relating to football medicine. FastFacts – FIFA Medical Platform
Podcast Prioritising a biopsychosocial approach in SEM with Dr Louise Tulloh. Episode #407 in BJSM
Concussion Management – An app from World Rugby
Treating Transplant Patients – Considerations to take into account when treating transplant athletes, from Transplant Sport Awareness Week – YouTube video
Don’t forget to let us know about any of your favourite resources that we can share with your fellow professionals.More Articles
Share this post:
- - -